Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blog 3

1. Do people who live different lives of the people they serve, get more out of service learning than others?
2. When people seek to learn about diversity, is it best to just get involved in service or to both engage in service along with formal instruction?
3. Is it a necessity to get involved in service to learn about diversity or is it possible to learn it through others experiences?
4. Is it possible to go through service learning and not to get anything out of it?
5. Do all people only get positive things out of service learning?

1 comment:

  1. 1. Since I have done service in the past, I feel as though I had a very different childhood than many of the students at Chambers Elementary School. Although our lives have many differences, it made me feel like a actually made a difference to them. Whether I actually taught them something while tutoring or just cheered them up on a bad day, I feel as though I made somewhat of a difference. If I were to have the same type of lifestyle as them, I feel like it would have been harder for me to make a difference because I wouldn't have known how to succeed.
    2. Although I feel like it is possible to learn about diversity though books, there is a HUGE benefit to actually getting involved first hand. Before I started going to service regularly, I lived a very sheltered life. Because of that it made it very difficult for me to see other peoples points of view.

    ReplyDelete